Happy Easter! I brought something sweet to my family’s Easter gathering and they turned out cute and delicious. Such a fun way to unleash your creative side! My designs could definitely be more neat but practice makes perfect!
1. Bake your cookies. Any classic sugar cookie recipe will work. Feel free to use your favorite recipe and cookie cutters.
2. Frost: Runny royal icing, using the flooding method.
3. Decorate: Stiff royal icing colored with Wilton’s gel food coloring.
4. Wow your guests!
These cupcakes are easy and stunning! They are sure to please your guest this 4th of July!
What you’ll need:
White cake mix & and the required ingredients
24 Cupcake liners
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1/2 vegetable shortening
4 cups powder sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons milk
Prepare the cake mix as instructed. Allow cupcakes to cool.
Rinse fruit. Remove the strawberry stems and cut in half.
In a mixing bowl cream the butter and shortening. Add the powder sugar one cup at a time. The mixture will be dry. Add the vanilla and milk while mixing at a slow speed.
Pipe your frosting (I used a star tip) on each cupcake. Insert strawberry on an angle and add three blueberries.
Happy Independence Day!
These hydrangea cupcakes are great for spring and they are pretty easy too!
I always use Wilton’s Buttercream Frosting recipe for my cakes/cupcakes. It tastes much better then the tubs of frosting from the store and it holds its shape!
Whip up your frosting and divide 50/50. I made blue and purple frosting but you can use any variation you’d like (I want to make a dark pink and light pink next time!). I highly recommend using gel coloring. You can find it at your local craft store in the baking section. The gel colors don’t change the consistency of your frosting like liquid food coloring. Gel coloring is highly concentrated so you don’t need much. I used 4 drops of blue, I didn’t have purple coloring so to achieve purple I mixed 2 drops of red and 2 drops of blue. I felt like a kindergardener mixing the colors!
Now get your piping bag ready! I used a closed star tip and my Featherweight bag. I love my reusable bag and if you’re piping multiple times a year it’s worth picking one up. If you don’t have piping bags you can use a gallon size freezer bag. Just cut one of the bottom corners to fit your tip.
The next step was a little tricky for me and the result wasn’t perfect. You need to fill your frosting bag with one color on each side. I put the blue frosting in the bag first followed by the purple. The blue frosting moved down ahead of the purple and my first couple cupcakes were completely blue. However, the great thing about this frosting recipe is the extra frosting! Typically I can make about 4 or 5 practice designs on a paper plate first which helps remove any air bubbles in your bag and practice makes perfect!
These are ridiculously easy to pipe! Break it down into three rounds.
First, simply squeeze out little flowers until the entire cupcake is covered.
Second, search for the spots that look sparse. Make more flowers in the areas where you can still see the cake.
Third, balance out the shape. Usually an additional two or three flowers on the very top will give you that nice rounded shape.
That’s it! As you can see in the photo above my cupcakes started mostly blue and ended mostly purple. Which was obviously not the plan but I kind of like them. Each one has it’s own unique coloring.
Let me know if you have any questions in the comment section below!
I’m not going to lie, I went into this project feeling very confident only to fail big time. Proceed with caution.
Cover a dish in plastic wrap. Cut up strips of paper (I used newspaper. You can also use a brown lunch bag but I liked the idea of the scraps of text). Mix up some paper mache:
- 2 tablespoons of glue
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1/2 cup of water
Dip the paper strips in the paper mache and apply to the bowl.
Once you have completely covered the bowl allow the paper mache to dry. Start round two. Now you need to try and achieve that nest texture so pieces shouldn’t be completely pressed down.
Here is my ugly dish. In hindsight I shouldn’t have used newspaper with any color and I should have cut my pieces thinner. Let me know if this project worked out for you!